Sunday, March 19, 2006

My own personal March Madness..

The NCAA basketball tournament - The only thing that can make a grown man shout obsenities at the television during a game between the University of Montana and the University of Nevada.

Last year, I did not fill out any brackets. Not for an office pool, not for any website "challenge;" none. It was the first time since, well maybe ever for me. But here is the funny thing. I don't think I ever enjoyed a tournament more.

This year has been an absolute nightmare. I started out 15 for 16 in one of my ESPN bracket challenge brackets. By the next morning I had already mentally spent about 95% of the $10,000 prize money the overall winner is to receive.

And then day two. Lets just say I'm not very concerned about that ten grand anymore.

I hate the fact I couldn't truly enjoy George Mason's stunning victory over North Carolina, because I had UNC going to the Elite Eight. I mean who would've thought the defending national champions would lose to just one guy? That George must have some SERIOUS game.

Oh yeah, and If I happen to see the Tennessee head coach, Bruce Pearl on the street, there is going to be some unpleasantries exchanged.

Here's another thing, what the hell happened to the selection committee this year? I depended on them, mainly because I had not watched on full men's college basketball game all year. I assumed when I see a little "2" by Ohio State's name, that they were a GOOD team? After alleged seventh-seed Georgetown got done toying with them for 40 minutes, the Buckeyes looked more like a nine-seed to me.

Tennessee hardly represented the two-seed any better. After escaping some school called Winthrop with a freakishly miraculous shot, they crapped the bed against the perennial national power, Wichita State. I still could not tell you what Wichita State's mascot is.

As it stands, I have two options next year.

1. Do NOT fill out any brackets and just enjoy the games and root for underdogs, or..

2. Follow some freaking college basketball.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter