Friday, July 28, 2006

Disgusted

There is a reason I waited 24 hours to post regarding the LeCharles Bentley injury.

Had I posted yesterday, it would have amounted to nothing more than a profanity-laced diatribe, making me sound even more bitter and jaded than normal - something I don't need.

How ironic, the day Bud Shaw writes a column in the Plain Dealer about Bentley's value. A couple days after I swear off the local baseball team to focus on the Browns and LeBrons. Now, just like that, the Browns are all but finished for the eighth time in as many seasons since returning.

Am I overreacting? Teams often can recover from such injuries right?

the answer, as always in Cleveland, is no.

I don't know if I believe in curses. I do believe in God but aren't sure he is making a concerted effort to torment the fans of Cleveland, the case made by another popular Cleveland blog (a very entertaining one at that).

What I'm trying to say is I simply cannot explain Cleveland sports. I can't explain a string of crushing defeats, dubious injuries, lame-brained leadership and pure bad luck that stretches as far as the eye can see.

Many Clevelanders worry about never seeing a championship in their lifetimes. A championship that would mean a thousand times more to this city than any other in the country.

Personally, I have progressed passed that point. I now assume I will never see one and have begun the process of reprioritizing my life to lessen the impact Cleveland sports has on it.

I know, this stuff sounds like something Dr. Phil would say, but what true fan of Cleveland sports of at least the last 15 years couldn't use a little Dr. Phil at this point?

So what now for Browns fans? We turn our focus to what is left for this season, the Winslows or Droughns or seeing what the rookies will bring to the table. But secretly, we wait for the next inevitable sports disaster because that is what we do in Cleveland these days.

And unless you are old enough to remember Jim Brown's playing days, that may be the only thing you ever do.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

you're a good writer.

I added your link to my page if you dont mind..

9:37 AM  
Blogger Jon Sladek said...

I swear to everybody I did not leave this comment to myself. Thanks you to the other "Jon" for the compliment. What exactly is your page?

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter