Sunday, February 05, 2006

Super Bowl 2006

First lets cover some thoughts on Super Bowl XL.

From an music perspective, this Super Bowl was atrocious. The average age of the musical guests, between the national anthem and the halftime show, was 82.4-years-old. I was embarassed for Aaron Neville and offended by Aretha Franklin's "soulful" version of the Star-Spangled Banner. Then there was the Rolling Stones. Its probably not a good thing when I spent the whole halftime performance concerned that Mick Jagger would have a heart attack, I mean isn't he like 70? Was there really no available younger acts to book? Its the Super Bowl for gosh sakes! Was Johnny Cash the initial act booked?

As far as the game goes, I have already been hearing a lot of noise about the officiating. True there were some bad calls, but did any call do as much damage to the Seahawks as the dynamic duo of clock management, Mike Holmgren and Matt Hasselbeck did? I literally could not believe my eyes watching Hasselbeck fidgeting around behind center as more than 30 precious seconds ticked away at the end of the first half. They easily blew a field goal and maybe even a touchdown. I still think the Steelers deserved to win regardless of the officiating (which was bad).

Here's a question, did Mike Holmgren stiff Bill Cowher at the postgame handshake? I saw Cowher walking out to midfield, then thought I heard him ask, "where's Holmgren." Of course it was difficult to hear over the incessant hyperbole of Al Michaels and John Madden. Michaels was so busy trying to etch the moment in history, neither him, nor a half-senile Madden seemed to notice Cowher standing at midfield like a jilted bride. If Holmgren did in fact stiff him, that is one of the more classless acts in Super Bowl history.

Now lets get to what this Super Bowl means to us Browns fans.

I'm just going to say it, don't be mad or upset about this. Lets be real about this Browns fans, comparing ourselves to the Steelers is like bringing a one-legged man to an ass-kicking contest, it just doesn't make sense.

I know I may be ruffling feathers, but lets look at the facts. The Steelers have now won five Super Bowls, we have yet to appear in one. The Steelers have had two head coaches, Cowher and Chuck Noll, since 1969, we have had three since 1999. We are 3-11 against Pittsburgh since our return in '99 and have dropped nine of the last 10 to them.

Frankly put, they are just better at football than we are and have been since Chuck Noll arrived. Comparing ourselves to them will only spell doom for a fan base already suffering from an extreme inferiority complex.

Hey , I can say these things because I am right there with you all. I have since learned, if we are going to be upset everytime the Steelers beat us, or achieve any success, then we are going to spend an awful lot of time upset.

The Browns are a mess right now and have been since '99, but my hopes and dreams rest in one simple goal, one day seeing them win the Super Bowl. If and when that glorious day ever comes, it will be our day to remember for the rest of our lives. And I'll be damned if I let what the Steelers have done cast even the slightest shadow on our victory parade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter