Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Spring Preview: The Pitchers

Ok, I am going to attempt to curtail my negativity today while discussing the Tribe pitching staff. Gone are favorites Bobby "lights out" Howry and David Riske, as well as effective part-time employee Artie Rhodes. All of the sudden the best bullpen in baseball may revert back to 2004 form. You'll remember that unit for their ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory no matter what the score was. No lead was safe.

Anyways, without further ado, YOUR 2006 TRIBE PITCHING STAFF, cleverly grouped into applicable categories:

The "Sure Thing" Group
C.C. Sabathia - probably the best we have, although his decision to play in the ridiculous World Baseball Classic makes Al Lerner's decision to hire Butchered Davis look savvy.

Cliff Lee - I don't think Lee will ever evolve into an "Ace", however he is a great won-loss guy and will make a solid # 3 behind Sabathia and..

Paul Byrd - I seriously debated whether or not to include him in this group. I just have this horrible vision of him pitching in an early May game and clutching his elbow after a pitch, and never returning. Lets hope I'm wrong.

Jake Westbrook - The Jaker recovered nicely to win 15 games last year after a horrendous start in which he looked like a Corvette in a blizzard. Should be good for another 15-win season.

The "Must Come Through" Group
Rafael Betancourt - With the bully so depleted, the Indians absolutely NEED consistency from this guy. And that means staying away from the "Mr. Bigs juice" Raffy!!

Matt Miller - Hard to place such expectations from a guy who missed significant time last season due to injury, but he has been very effective the last two seasons and the Tribe needs him to bridge the cap from the starters to the set-up man, whoever that may be.

Bob Wickman - once again Tribe fans are stuck in the unenviable position of having to rely on a closer that could unravel at any moment. True he was effective last year while causing near-coronaries with each appearance. But doesn't it just seem like he's on borrowed time and his luck could run out at any second? I mean, he's bigger than any Browns lineman, he had major arm surgery a few years ago, he's rapidly approaching 40 and he's missing parts of two fingers on his PITCHING HAND no less. He scares me more than Jason Voorhies.

The Infirmary Group
Guillermo Mota - Ok, I can understand the Crisp/Marte part of the trade. Actually I lied, I don't understand that part. By I really don't understand why we felt the need to throw in a semi-reliable Riske for a guy with elbow AND shoulder problems? When he did pitch last season, he posted an unspectacular 4.70 ERA. Here's my theory, in 2003 the Dodgers pitched Mota 76 times for 105 innings setting up Gagne. In 2004 he logged another 96.2 innings and 78 appearances between Los Angeles and Florida. Does it really surprise anyone he now has arm problems? I mean thats about as predictable as a Peyton Manning playoff collapse.

Kaz Tadano - Has been hampered with a bulging disc in his lower back for the last two years. I suppose we should be glad that headlines involving the word "bulging" are about his back and not something else.

Jason Stanford - I have to be honest, when I saw the spring roster I could not believe this guy was still on the team. He has made a grand total of two appearances the last two seasons. I realize he had Tommy John surgery, but don't guys come back from that nowadays? Did he get the 1988 version by mistake? Finally, does he show up to collect his paycheck with a ski mask and 9 millimeter pistol?
The sad part is Stanford, when not hurt or getting into scuffles in the Flats, has looked really good. He has to show me he can pitch again before I start ordering my "Stanford" jersey, however.

The "Anything You Can Give Us" Group
Jason Davis - I still think the flame-throwing Davis deserves a shot to close. His career as a starter is so similar to Eric Gagne's, its scary. In 2000, Gagne made 19 starts, going 4-6 with a 5.15 ERA. He followed that up in 2001 with a forgettable 6-7 4.75 campaign in 24 starts. The Dodgers coverted him to closer based on his arm strength and how effective he was early in games, and the rest is history.

Andrew Brown - The Chardon native was the subject of a cruel Indians prank last year when he was called up to the show on August 20, only to never appear in an actual game. Lets hope he uses that as motivation this season.

The "Big Potential" Group
Fernando Cabrera - The 24-year-old looked downright nasty at time last year and finished with a 1.47 ERA in over 30 innings of work. Look for good things from Cabrera.

Jeremy Sowers and Fausto Carmona - Two guys we might not see much of until September, but look to figure significantly into the Tribe's future plans.

The "Washed Up" Group
Steve Karsay and Danny Graves - Neither of these guys was able to keep his ERA under 6.50 last season. What else needs to be said?

The "Jason Johnson" Group
Jason Johnson - I don't know what it is, but I just do not like this guy. Oh yeah, its his career 52-86 record. I think my friend Shnydes summed it up best when we were discussing Johnson a few weeks ago. As he was looking at his stats online, he said, "Jason Johnson, he hasn't been good since (pause) He's NEVER been good!"
I realize he's a fifth starter and I realize he has pitched on bad teams and I realize "24" is a popular show even though I don't understand how that much can happen in one day. But we couldn't do better than this for our starting rotation? I have a strong feeling Eric Wedge will be penciling in a name other than Jason Johnson for the 5th spot by July, and Johnson will be anchoring the rotation - for the Buffalo Bisons..

So there you have it. Stay tuned for a report on the position players. If I feel like it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter